Tuesday, December 4, 2007

BOOYAH TURKEY! =)

On December first we celebrated Thanksgiving at Karine's house with about 13 other PCVs! We ate the most unbelievably delicious turkey possible in Uganda! As you can see, Lisandro and myself were both thoroughly enjoying it!! =) I arrived late because of meetings with work (yes, work on a saturday!) and all of the prep work to the turkey was finished. I have to say that I was happy...I'm not sure it would have tasted as good if I knew it alive!

It was great to see people from my training group and meet other people who live in the area. The whole dinner included turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes, mac and cheese (velvetta!), pumpkin pie, carrot cake, and fruit salad. It was a real thanksgiving, in Uganda!


We all even went around the table and said what we were thankful for....cute, huh? Luckily, this trip to Bududa I did not walk back to Mbale! I smartened up and took a taxi...although, I cant say that I wont do it again. =) Hopefully over the holiday when the office is closed, I can be prepared and hike up another mountain! Its so beautiful here! The weather though, nothing like that in New York! Soooooo hotttttt, seriously, what did I expect, I guess...I'm in Africa! This is the time when I am extremely happy for my thatched roof hut!! It stays so much cooler than tin roofed houses. And apparently the hottest/driest time is still to come, January! I'll just be thinking of all my family and friends in CNY/WNY freezing their butts off!! =) Its strange to think about life with no snow for two years...I think I'll manage! =)

This month marks 4 months in Uganda! Whoa! Happy Holiday Season, All!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Booyah Turkey is right!!! Am so glad it was soooooo good. And
you were All able to get together!! Plus how great was that, you all went around the table to share what you were thankful for.... Can I say Yay? Can't wait to hear whose Idea that was. Remember when you were little I liked to do that & your brother hated it? So fun to see a picture of you taken only 4 days ago too!!! Booyah again!!! Sorry it's so damn HOT!!! Glad your hut is cool though, that is a wonderful relief I am sure!! Lucky you!!!! Wish I could send you a snowman!!! Stay WELL, Lots & Lots of love, xoxxo your, MOMMA

Anonymous said...

And I am far from wanting to be anonymous.... oops guess I did need to fill in the nickname section.... guess I should comment more often.... I had to recreate my password & everything...
THE MOMMA says.... you go girl....xoxoxoxxxxxx
Have fun honey & stay cool!!!!
LOVE, The MOMMA

Unknown said...

boooyah! your thanksgiving seriously sounded as good as ours! but we didn't have any fruit salad! i love fruit salad. and im sure african fruit salad is absolutely amazing! anyways glad to read your blog like always. stay safe i love you! xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole,
I am glad you didn't have to meet your turkey before you ate him..ha ha. Your Thanksgiving sounds like lots of fun and am glad you have many new friends to enjoy the holidays with. We will miss you here but are so proud of all you are doing there. Keep up the good work!!! xoxoxoxo LOVE YOU Aunt Janie

Grandma said...

Hi Nicole - Late cking the blog. SO glad you spent the Holiday with your new friends. Dinner menu was almost like Home!! Glad you are cooler in your little hut. If you go any more hikes, hope you take pictures-scenery if beautiful. Take care; love you. Grandma

Anonymous said...

The world needs more people like you. Everyone at work is amazed at what you’re accomplishing. Take care of yourself.
-Justin