Tuesday, November 27, 2007

16-Mile Journey…





On the actual day of Thanksgiving, I decided to go visit my lumasaaba group and spend the weekend with them. Karine and Lisandro live close to each other and about one and a half hours away from my site. I took a taxi out there to meet them, and planned on coming back Saturday the same way. However, plans changed. Instead of taking a taxi back to Mbale, we decided to walk. Kind of crazy, I know, but at first I was totally against it…I wasn’t ready, I didn’t have sneakers, and I didn’t exactly pack lightly for a 16-mile hike to Mbale. After two days of my friends convincing me, and Karine’s extra pair of sneakers, I was up at 5 am on Saturday morning getting ready for the hike. We began our journey at 5:30 am in the pitch dark. It was my lumasaaba group (Lisandro, Karine, Liz and I), two other PCV’s from the March group, and Barbara, a 61 year old non Peace Corps American who is here volunteering for the next year. Two Ugandans guided us the whole way, a father/son pair who Barbara knew from the village. Simon (the dad) was actually suffering from malaria! Talk about motivation...if this man could make this hike with malaria, I sure as hell was going to make it! Although I had some doubts during the trip...


The whole thing took us about 7 hours total, but we were only actually walking for about 5 of them (we took a couple breaks!). I thought I was going to die, and my legs are still killing me...yeah, I'm really out of shape. Despite long, tiring journey and the awful dirt uphill paths we were walking on, watching the sunrise over the mountains and the view was absolutely amazing! The pictures barely capture the beauty of it. It was gorgeus! I will definitely be doing more hiking around these mountains and hopefully getting in better shape over the next two years!!




*Happy 21st bro! =)

5 comments:

anut patty ;) said...

What fun!! Aren't you glad that they talked you into it?? The photos are beautiful!! I can't believe you are that out of shape... Another awesome experience for you in your adventure!! It was great to talk to you on Turkey Day-still can't believe we can just call you up!!! ...and it sounds like you are right down on Williams Street!! Love you sweetie!! Always praying for your health & safety...xoxoxo anut & uncle jimbo

Grandma said...

Pictures are awesome and dont blame for wanting to do more exploring/hiking. Was fun talking to you with your mom/hope you get packages ok. Love you Colebaby/you're always in my prayers. xoxo Gram

Aunt Janie said...

Wow!! 16 miles..that is great. Don't know how you did it tho!! Did you get blisters or were the sneakers a good fit?? Hope you took more pics of your walk and will be posting them. Going to be doing some xmas shopping for our little peace corp volunteer this weekend so be on the lookout for a package ;) love you...xoxoxo Aunt Janie

Anonymous said...

like whoa i can't believe you walked that far. thats like walking to rome and back only there isn't any mountains. i really like you chocos or however they are spelt. im thinking of getting a pair for my african adventure! i love you talk to you sooon!! xoxox

Anonymous said...

yo thanks for the comment on my b-day... it was a blast. hope your having fun out there sounds like it anyways.. sorry i haven't responded yet, but i do read your blogs. oh yea.. did i mention your crazy for doing this. Anyways enjoy yourself and i'll prolly talk to ya next time mom calls.. love ya, ANDY