Saturday, December 29, 2007

VACATION!

Before my vacation started, I was super busy finishing up the year. Tori and I were working on one of the projects, the 12 month long curriculum. We decided to do it in quarters. Despite the fact that I have never written a curriculum/lesson plan, and we waited until the week before it needed to be done to do it, it turned out well. The first three topics for January, February, and March are Water/Hygiene/Sanitation, HIV/AIDS, and Family Planning. I have so much more respect for teachers now that I have actually written a lesson plan…I had no idea how much work it was. Tori and I were both up til 2am three nights before the week ended. Hopefully that taught us a lesson to start a little earlier for the next quarter of the project.

I’ve been having a wonderful time ever since my vacation actually started! There was a work holiday party at Justin’s house (the executive director). Most of the employees of FDNC were there to celebrate the end of the year. It was a nice time to spend with everyone before the holiday break. For Christmas, a bunch of other volunteers and I went to Rachel’s village outside of Mbale Town. Rachel was my language teacher during training and has four boys, Keith, Kennedy (“like the president”…her words!), Kelvin, and Kris. They are so freaking adorable! The ages are 6, 5, 3, 2. Quite a handful and despite how cute they were, I was definitely ready to come back to my quiet hut after the third day. It was really nice to see how Ugandans spend Christmas and the differences in cultures. There was lots of family time…with lots of family. I bet there were 30 people in and out of the house at a time; I couldn’t keep everyone straight! We were listening to Christmas carols and cooking all day. The food takes a really, really long time to cook using only three charcoal stoves! The dinner menu included turkey, chicken, beef, rice, pasta, matooke, potatoes, fruit salad, and banana bread. We all helped cook in the 90-degree weather outside…definitely not what we were used to, but we got down and dirty!! Good food, good company, and good times. Being away for Christmas wasn’t as bad as I thought. Although, I was recently reminded about the fact that if I was home, I would probably be working…haha, this was much better than work!! =)

The day after Christmas, we spent the day with Rachel and her family at Sisiyi Falls. It’s a beautiful waterfall off the side of Mt. Elgon. We walked up part of the mountain to get a gorgeous view of the falls. Lisandro, Josh, and Liz decided to be adventurous and get down in the water. I was playing it safe and just decided to take pictures of them!

As I returned from the 4 day/3 night Christmas fun, I have been being completely lazy and loving every minute of it. I have been making use of Tori’s house mostly for the purpose of her refrigerator, but also because it’s a nice change of scenery from my one room house (hers has 4). Anyways, we have kind of known she had rats…but never actually saw one alive. She killed one a couple weeks ago with this stuff called ‘rat glue’. So I was relaxing there the other night just reading when I see something out of the corner of my eye…two moving things. The first is a lizard, small little creatures that are perfectly harmless and way more afraid of us, but they still scare me really bad. Then the second moving thing…a black rat!!! Oh. My. God. It took me back to the buffalo days when I tried to kill a rat with Mike with Brent’s hockey stick!! Haha…this time I was alone, and didn’t have a hockey stick. My options were limited, but luckily it ran out (I think), or I ran out before I could think! Another good reason for my one room, thatched roof hut, I always know what’s in it, or what isn’t!

In my down time, I have been doing a lot of reading, writing, puzzle(ing?), and napping…its been really nice and relaxing! My other Peace Corps friends and I are planning on spending new years in Jinja then rafting!

I uploaded pictures from Christmas so check them out!
Hope everyone had a great Christmas also!…and Happy New Year too!!

9 comments:

anut patty ;) said...

Happy New Year, Nicole!! The pictures are great!! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful Christmas feast and a great time with everyone. The children and the scenery are beautiful. We received your card today-it is beautiful!! We had a hectic holiday here and hopefully everything will settle down soon. Including SADIE!! I need to take her down to meet Madison so they can play!! Madison will keep her busy. Love you sweetie...praying for your health, happiness and safety!!! anut & uncle jimbo xoxoxo

Aunt Janie said...

Hi Nicole,
Happy New Year almost!! Was waiting anxiously all month for your blog and to hear how things were going even though your mom keeps us posted. Glad to hear they are going so well and you had such a nice Christmas in your home away from home...even though the rat story was a little scary!! Loved the pictures too...keep them coming!! Your lesson plan sounds great too..but you sound like a bit of procrastinator like your cousin..ha ha.
Love you lots,
xoxoxoxox
Aunt Janie

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to my girl!!! The pictures are great!!! Smart girl playing it safe & not being a crazy woman like me. I was glad you didn't tell me the rat story, I thought it was kinda funny, picturing you running out of Tori's. Kinda like running from the bear. Ha Ha Calling you soon but just HAD to make a comment. So glad you had time to sit & add to this as everyone else will be. Hoping your 2008 is even more exiting, fun & you contuning staying happy, safe & healthy!!!
All my love, YO MOMMA

Monica*Anne said...

Happppy new year nicole! We got your card it was such a nice treat!! and so pretty too! The guys moved out of 569 Niagra Falls yesterday...so no more rats!! they moved into this gorgeous house...everyones a bit jealous. But it made me sad, i took down the post its by the door that your mama wrote to remember to turn off lights...i thought of you both!! Your new years plans sound fabulous...i'm extremely jealous!! I think some people might come to our house for new years, but everyone is pretty much scattered for break so nothing big...i would much rather go rafting with you!! I hope your teaching goes well..it sounds like you guys have it pretty much figured out :) I'm glad to hear all is well...Miss you tons!!! Love you!
Monica

Grandma said...

Happy New Year Nicole!!! Your pictures are great. Hope to see some pictures from the rafting excursion. Happy, like everyone else, that you had a nice Christmas with your friends. Kinda glad holidays are over and things get back to normal! Had a quiet New Years. Wish you a happy, healthy, safe and productive 2008!!!! Good luck in your teaching!! Love you Gram

Anonymous said...

Hi again..

Posted some comments on your pics. Glad you liked the FamilyFoto e-mail. Sadie is growing like a weed. Felt her collar tonite and it was PRETTY TIGHT!!! had to adjust it twice 'fore I got it big enough!! Little pork chop that she is!! She has lotsa names. Chewbaka--'cuz that's all she does-CHEW!! I tell everyone who asks about her that she is "a little pisser!! in more ways than one!!!" Can't wait until she is trained so we can let her roam thru the house!!!
Love you sweetie!!! anut, uncle jimmy & sadie!! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Hey Nikky!

Hope you're having fun. Mike Kent and I are having fun in Denver. Talk to you later.

Unknown said...

Hey Nicole,
It's Manda sending a message with Haley's (aka Helen) gmail account. I never got a chance to send you a care package at xmas but I am sure that you wouldnt mind a post holiday present! You mentioned puzzling in your blog..what kind of puzzles? I am a sudoku fiend...Let me know and I will send you some!!! Love to read your blog. Haley got this globe that is like a beach ball and we found Uganda on it. She always asks about you! I will send some pictures when I send the package! Sounds like you are having the time of your life...I am so jealous!...Not about the rats or the almost drowning in the river parts though!!! LOL More soon take care!
Manda

Anonymous said...

haha so i have this new wierd obsession now that when i watch tv, i read the fine print for everything, and so i unconsiously just read the disclaimer at the bottom of your blog and it made me laugh...haha love it. and you <3