Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Are you ready for CHOGM?

That’s the question every Ugandan has been asking for the past year plus…well, ready or not, CHOGM is here! The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting or CHOGM is being held this week in Kampala. I was very tempted to go, and despite my mother’s best attempt to be the devil’s advocate and persuade me to go, I decided against it. Kampala scares me on a normal day, so when the Queen is in the city, I would have been terrified. FDNC is being well represented during the events of the week by having the FDNC Mbale Youth Brass Band play on two different occasions in Kampala. This was the main reason for me to even consider going to Kampala, to see the band perform.

The band is a work in progress. Phil, the volunteer from the UK, has this amazing vision to create the first youth orchestra in all of Eastern Africa, and possibly in all of Africa. Right now it’s a brass band composed of trumpets, trombones, tubas, and percussion. He has been working extremely hard to teach these kids how to read music and become a sit down brass band. In January, he hopes to add a woodwind and string section…he has lots of instruments that were donated from the UK, but at the moment he lacks teachers. We were talking about my previous band experience, and I think I may be the new clarinet teacher…I just hope I can remember how to play! Its been about 5 years since I have touched mine! The hope is for the band to go to Kampala, talk to people from all over the world who have lots of money and want to support the band. It’s a big vision, but I’m really excited to help him with the clarinet section of the band! Phil also plans on building a music school in Mbale.

K, just a quick little blurb about CHOGM and a potential secondary project! And new pictures!! Check them out! =)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG do you want me to send you your clarinet? and maybe a book on how to teach it haha christmas present! anyways i love your little hut its so cute!
xoxoxo track

Aunt Janie said...

Hi Nicole,
Happy Belated Turkey Day!! That is awesome about being the clarinet teacher...better get practicing!! I should send Mike over to help you out..ha ha. Love the pics of your hut. I have the one of the mountain view outside your door as my background so when I log on I think of you :) Love you and miss you tons!! xoxoxoxo Aunt Janie

Grandma said...

Hello Nicole - was great tallking to you on Thanksgiviing. It's wonderful that you are going to be helpiing with the band; teaching kids! I read about the band on FDNC wedsite; nice article about it. I love your little hut; you didn't know you were ever going to live in a "round" house did you??? Love you and miss you! Gram