Thursday, September 13, 2007

Halfway through Training!

September 9th marked one month in Uganda for me and my other trainees. Things are going really well and the past two weeks have been very eventful. Overall, I am becoming much more confortable being here and actually doing things on my own instead of feeling helpless and like a child. I am a lot more independent at home and I feel like part of the family. I am really enjoying my home stay family.

On Wednesday (September 4th I think) we went to Kampala to see different income generating activities in the bigger city, and it was a great experience. We went to an organization called ‘Reach Out’ which is a non governmental organization (NGO) that trains women who are HIV positive to make beads and generate an income for them and their families. We ate at an Indian restaurant and everything was great until the ride home. Our bus, which was driven by a Peace Corps employee was hit. It was not our fault at all, and what happened was that a big trailer wanted to pass us, but when he tried, realized another large trailer was oncoming. So he didn’t make it and hit the side/back of our bus which pushed us off the side of the road and into a tree. Meanwhile, the two trailer hit headon. Everyone on our bus is okay, just some minor cuts and emotional trauma. I was sitting in the middle of the bus right by the door so I had bars in front of me, instead of a seat. My knees hit the bar and my neck/shoulders were sore for a couple days from whip lash, but overall, we were really lucky and our driver did a great job keeping the vehicle under control. It definitely could have been a lot worse. It was really strange to be part of it and felt surreal (almost like this whole experience so far!) but our training group and trainers all came together and were supportive of one another. I really felt close to them and that experience brought us even closer. The Peace Corps Safety and Security Regional Officer of Eastern Africa happened to be in Kampala that day and came to speak with us about the accident and how it could impact our individual feelings about Peace Corps. I feel lucky/blessed that everyone was alright, and I know accidents happen but I cant live my life in fear or quit Peace Corps because this happened to us. I'm just looking at it as another obstacle in training that I overcame and we are a stronger group because of it!

The weather here in Uganda is actually pretty nice. It hasn’t been too hot, although there has been a few hot days, and technically it's not the rainy season, but it rains an awful lot. At least once a day, but only for a little while then it will be nice again.

So the electricity in Uganda is not consistent at all, and when we do have electricity my host family is sitting in front of the tv. We watch Big Brother Africa (which is very strange!), and they love their Nigerian Films, which is basically a really, really bad soap opera. They love it! Last night I was talking to my host mother and her friend about America and the difference in culture. They were asking me tons of questions including if we pay the wifes family a dowry when a couple gets married, and who does the chores around the house, and how the women get away with wearing pants all the time. Its so interesting to see their faces when I tell them that men actually do chores, and cook, and that the husband does not pay the wifes family in cows when she wants to get married. The two cultures are very different but I think I am fitting in well and trying to explain America as best as I can, although it does make me a little sad to think about....i miss it!!

Things are going well in training, we are in week 5 (almost the end) which is the half way point. Really crazy to think about. Tomorrow the APCD (Assistant Peace Corps Director) is coming to talk to us and give us our future site placements. So tomorrow I will actually know what my host organization will be! Im really excited to find that out and I think it will make it all real...maybe.

5 comments:

Brian Schwartz said...

Hey Now!!
Maybe you can be the one to start a new practice in the States. Instead of an engagement ring...like you would even want some bling on your finger...you could get a few cows and maybe a couple of chickens thrown in since you know how to butcher and prepare them now. How many cows and chickens do you think you'd be worth? What if the cows were already cut up...would that be a bonus or a rip off? If you tell the guy (or gal)that you'd think about it, could your dad have a cow butchered and put out in the freezer? Let him know so he can make room. lol
b

Aunt Janie said...

Hi Nicole,
So glad you are ok from your bus accident!! I am always anxious to read your weekly update to see how things are going and glad to hear they are going so well!!! Your mom says you got your assignment and will be near a larger city. YAY! Hope to be talking to you today at Anut's house!! LOVE YOU!! xoxoxoxo Aunt Janie

Unknown said...

Hi honey,

I'm so glad you're ok. This whole thing is so fascinating and exciting. I think you are representing America perfectly. I can't think of many other people who would do us as much justice as you do. Take care and I will send you a note as to how we are all doing soon. Right now it's time to get my 5th grader ready for school. I still can't believe I have such a young tike!!!! love you much....

Grandma said...

Hi Nicole,-glad to hear you have your assignment; hope it is your liking. I received your letter last Thurs.,13th; it was postmarked 9/5 so that was pretty fast mail!! I sent another card out to you; I hope it reaches you this time. Always look forward to your updates. Take care; love you xoxoxoxo Gram PS Happy to hear you're wearing the medal. xoxo

Unknown said...

Hey Nicole,

I love reading your blog. More American's should go through the experiences you are and there would be more appreciation for just how good we do have it here in America. Everytime I travelled over seas in the service, I always enjoyed the places I was fortunate enough to visit, but there is nothing like America.

Glad to hear your bus adventure ended with no serious injuries. Look forward to your next update.

Regards,

Dan Parker